September 2020

 

Port Carbon Borough Council

September 15, 2020

COUNCIL MEMBERS                                                                                  ANCILLARY MEMBERS

 

Scott Krater, Vice President, p                                                                 Harold Herndon, Mayor p

Ron Zimmerman, p                                                                                     William Burke, Solicitor p

Denise Krater p                                                                                            Peggy Lubinsky, Treasurer p

James McBreen p                                                                                       Luanne Mengle, Secretary p

Cathy Manning p

Tiffany Sullivan p

Mary Jo Ferraro p

 

 

The meeting was called to order by President Scott Krater with the Pledge of Allegiance.

 

Mayor asked for a moment of silence for former council member, Warren Thomas, who passed away this week.

 

Zimmerman/Krater motioned to approve previous minutes. Motion approved.

 

Two students attending the meeting for school credit, Seth Ames, Government Civic class and will be attending trade school in Florida and Kyle Buckingham, Government Civic class and will be going right into the work force.

 

Citizen – None

 

Finance – No report this week.

 

Public Works – Road project meeting held today. Officer Murton suggested handing out flyers to residents on the Pine and Wilson so that they are aware there will be no parking on that street during the project. Tohill reported Pine Street will be closed 3 to 5 days and Wilson Avenue 1 day.

  1. Krater reported 2 of the grates on Pine Street need to be done. Krater reported Faust will do it before the road project is started.

 

Property – No report.

 

Safety – S. Krater reached out to the guy for the Swift program and should hear back from him shortly.

 

Recreation – Sullivan reported that Dunkel will try for the egg hunt next year.

 

Code/Zoning – Ed Wenger was hired by Lehigh for code enforcement. Mama Mia’s put fence up without permit and they were notified of the violation. 208 Valley St. a new placard was put back on the property by Wenger.

McBreen reported we received a credit from Lehigh of $624.00.

McBreen/Zimmerman motioned to appoint Mel Renninger to the Zoning Hearing Board. Motion approved.

 

Personnel – No report.

 

SanitationFerraro reports a complaint on early garbage pickup. Ferraro/McBreen motioned to advertise sanitation bid requiring Bid Bond and Performance Bond. Have the bids back for October 19th. Motion approved.

 

Special – Zimmerman reported there were 2 properties that offers were put on from the Repository sale. Both on 4th Street from James & Ann Williamson for $2,334 each. It is only land. Zimmerman/Manning motioned to accept the 2 offers for the parcels. Motion accepted.

 

Treasurer – Beginning balance for August 1st – $254,398.06, $111,065.85 in checks, deposited $110,400.83 for a total of $253,733.04.

Liquid Fuels balance is $132,074.88, checks for $2,532.22, Deposit of $1.11 for a total of $129,543.77

Delinquent sanitation collected as of today was $3,200.00 for a total of $4,010.00

McBreen/D. Krater motioned to accept treasurer report. Report accepted.

Tax Collector – Sanitation collected through September 15th – $86,472. Since March 1st 485 sanitation bills were collected. Per Capita collected in August was $257.21 which equals 17 bills. Since March 1st $10,693.79 Per Capita was collected. Real Estate collected in August $3,447.18 which was 9 bills. Since March 1st $263,656.10 was collected for Real Estate.

Zimmerman/D. Krater motioned to accept report. Report accepted.

 

Engineer – Tohill reported updates on projects.

 

Category C (Roads) – Tohill reported this project was put on hold until the road project was ready to go out. Tohill will be working on getting the meetings set up for the affected property owners to execute the easement agreements. An anticipated winter bidding and spring construction due to asphalt temperature restrictions. PennDot will not allow to pave after October 31st.

Category D (drainage) Mill Creek Channel Wall Repair – The design is finished and into drafting. The permitting is in place. An anticipated fall/winter construction for this project. We do need to schedule meetings soon with affected property owners to execute the easement agreements.

Growing Greener – Tohill reported the clerical revisions are corrected. DEP anticipates these contracts will be finalized this week or next. Once the Borough received a copy, we can coordinate a kick-off meeting requested by Dep and schedule survey.

Road Project –Tohill reported a pre-construction meeting was held this morning with Ronnie Folk Paving. An anticipated construction will occur Mid-October. The borough will be notified 5 days prior to construction to allow the Borough to post dates. Contracts will need to be signed by the Borough and distribute to Contractor and Penn Dot.

 

EMA – Schuettler reported the Fire Dept. calls for the month = QRS – 26 EMS calls, Fire 12 calls.

 

Mayor – Mayor Brandi Faust is offering Tutoring on Tuesday and Thursday nights from 6 to 8 for students who would like extra help with the Covid home schooling. Brandi Faust would like permission to use the Senior Building for the tutoring. McBreen/Manning motioned to allow the use of the building. Motion accepted.

Mayor reported we will have Trick or Treat on October 31st from 5:30 to 7:30. There will be 2 officers on duty at that time. Palo Alto and Mechanicsville will be holding there Trick or Treat at the same time. Mayor reported Palo Alto asked if we were having a parade. Parade will be at 3:30 on the 31st.

Mayor would like to know if Council is looking into a Firework ordinance. Mayor reported residents have asked about this.

 

Solicitor – Burke reported since we are doing sanitation advertisement he suggest adding the Property Maintenance Code when placing the ad to save on expenses. Zimmerman/Sullivan motioned to approve.

 

New business – Zimmerman asked about the millings for the road project and if they were using them for anything. Zimmerman would like to use some of them on 4th Street and some by the vets. Tohill stated they are property of the Borough and it had been talked about stock piling them up by 4th street and using some of them there. Faust can spread them with the skid loader. Tohill asked Folk for a price to roll it. Folk will get back to Tohill.

 

Citizen – Jasmine Reppert, student attending the meeting for Social Studies.

Bill Thomas – Thomas would like to know the status of the bar. Zimmerman reported it is on repository. Borough is going to ask to buy for $1 in order to tear it down. Zimmerman reported we have to hold onto property for a few years. At a later date bids can be put on for the property but it will have to be for at least what it will be appraised at.

Thomas asked about the property on Second St. owned by the Reverend and what is going on there. McBreen reported Lehigh is watching what he is doing. Lehigh let them know that it is not zoned for a halfway house.

Thomas asked about the building at 217 Pike St. and would like to know what the regulations are for an apartment building. Thomas would like to know what they are doing with the property. Council reported the property would have to be inspected.

 

Kelly Davis – Kelly works at the Library and reported she has a reading therapy cat to help with children and adults that have difficulty reading. If tutoring is open to public let the library know because there are people in need of help.

 

 

Manning/D. Krater motioned to adjourn.

Meeting adjourned.

 

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

 

Luanne Mengle

Borough Secretary

Print Friendly, PDF & Email